Accused murderer Cameron Johnson-McCann waived his right to a preliminary hearing in a Monday, June 17 appearance in Third District Court in Trinidad. Johnson McCann’s arraignment was set for 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday, August 14. He’s represented by the local Public Defender’s Office.
Trinidad Police arrested Johnson-McCann on February 13, 2018, after a yearlong investigation into a body being found in his residence at the Western Apartments in Trinidad. Johnson-McCann, age 40, has been in custody at Las Animas County Jail since that day and was previously charged with two counts of sexual exploitation of a child, a class 3 felony and sexual exploitation of a child (in relation to video), a class 4 felony.
Police were initially investigating Johnson-McCann for computer crimes, but during a search of Johnson-McCann’s residence police found a plastic tote containing human remains. The remains had deteriorated to the point that no identification of the deceased individual could be made at that time.
The man whose body was found in the tote was later identified by authorities as Michael Dufour believed to be in his 40s and of the same Trinidad address as where his body was found.
In other court action related to the Johnson-McCann case, Third District Court Chief Judge Leslie J. Gerbracht ordered the release of the autopsy report of the victim in the case on Monday, June 17.
The release of the report was the subject of a lawsuit filed by Trinidad disabled advocate Stephen Hamer against County Coroner Dominic (Junie) Verquer, with Hamer’s attorneys demanding it be released.
Hamer commented on the court’s ruling on releasing the autopsy report in a Monday, June 17 phone call. “This is a victory for transparency and helps restore faith in the criminal justice system,” Hamer said. “It’s a big win for the media and also a victory for the citizens on transparency issues.”
Coroner Verquer said he would have no comment on the court’s decision to release the autopsy report, speaking in a Monday, June 17 phone call.